Holy Trinity Church
Holy Trinity is one of York’s most delightful secrets. Hidden away behind Our Lady's Row, in its leafy churchyard, this is one of the city’s very special churches.
It was in existence by the late 11th century but the present building dates mainly from the 15th century. It has a rare double-sloping, or 'saddleback', roof and an unusual medieval pool - a 'piscina' - used to wash the chalice after communion.
Walking into the interior is like stepping back into Georgian times. This is the only church in the city to have retained its box pews. The high sides protected worshippers from draughts and gave them some privacy during the service.
The church possesses a fine collection of medieval glass. The east window was donated in 1471 by John Walker, the rector of the church. He immortalised himself in the glass as a kneeling figure in the central light, below the figures of the Holy Trinity.
Two boards record the names of Lord Mayors of the city, including George Hudson, ‘The Railway King’, who turned York into a major railway centre in the 19th century.
This church is open to visitors and is still used for Christian worship at least twice a year - on Trinity Sunday and the second Sunday in Advent.