Church of All Saints Pavement

1300AD - 1400AD

All Saints stands in the centre of one of the earliest paved streets in York, hence its name.  It has played, and continues to play, an important role in the civic history of the city. It is the Guild Church of York and 34 Lord Mayors are buried here.

The present building dates from the 14th century, but there has been a church on this site for even longer. The earliest mention was in the Domesday Book (1086), and an Anglo-Saxon grave cover, dating from the 10th century, is the earliest evidence for a burial ground. One tradition even claims that All Saints was built in 685 AD for St Cuthbert.

The elegant lantern on top of the tower is visible from many parts of the city.  It was built around 1400. Throughout the mediaeval period, the light was kept burning at night to guide travellers into the city through the wolf-infested Forest of Galtres to the north.

The beautiful glass of the huge 14th century west window depicts the Passion and Resurrection of Christ. The pulpit, with its sounding board to reflect and amplify the preacher’s voice, dates from 1634. Worship is still offered in this church and everyone is welcome.