York was fortunate to undergo a building boom at a time of great architectural style. As new materials were developed, red-brick buildings took the place of half-timbered houses and shops.
Three of the best Georgian properties to survive, the Assembly Rooms, Mansion House and Fairfax House, have their own pages in the site, as does the work of architect John Carr.
Other notable buildings from the period include:
The Red House, Duncombe Place (1714): built by Sir William Robinson on what was Lop Lane, a narrow street leading to the gate of the Minster precinct, before Duncombe Place was opened out in 1860
Judges’ Lodging, Lendal (c1720): stylishly advanced, it was built for a doctor but turned into the residence for visiting circuit judges in 1806
Micklegate House (c1752): the town house of the Bourchiers of Beningbrough
Bar Convent (c1760): although it was opened in 1686 for the education of Catholic girls, the Georgian façade is from the 1760s
20 St Andrewgate (c1770s): imposing three storey house presumably designed by its first owner, the architect Thomas Atkinson
Castlegate House: across the way from Fairfax House, this John Carr designed property was built for the Recorder of York
Other fine buildings were going up on the roads immediately outside the City Walls, such as Bootham, Blossom Street and Monkgate.
York’s first suburbs were developing.