Special thanks to the dedicated people and organisations supporting the History of York.


The Minster in the 18th Century

The Minster Taken on the spot from the South-East corner of Dr Hunters Garden - John Hunter - 1784 - York Art Gallery

Following the easing of Protestant-Catholic religious tensions in York and the restoration of the monarchy, efforts were undertaken to restore the Minster building.  Dean Finch undertook the removal of internal paneling, while a new floor was laid in the Nave between 1730 and 1738.  This necessitated the removal of all burials in the Nave.  The pavement was made of stone and marble and was based on the Greek key pattern, reflecting the interest in the classics at the time.  The new Pavement was designed by Lord Burlington and William Kent.

Repairs were undertaken to the top of the Central Tower between 1732-3, and a new flight of steps was provided for the south door entrance in 1735.  The Chapter House roof was releaded in 1744. 

In 1751 the pinnacles of the north-west tower were blown down, necessitating the renewal of the whole of the roof at the west end of the nave.  Only two years later, fire destroyed the roof on the west side of the South Transept during releading work. The entire population of York was said to have turned out to fight the fire. The Minster’s windows were not neglected during the renovation; between 1753-95 William Peckitt carried out much work on the cathedral’s stained glass windows.